Sunday 27 December 2009

The final round up!

I know! It’s almost three months since Miles for Smiles took place. At least it’s still 2009!


Why the delay in rounding off this blog and telling you how much it all made? There are many reasons; the final resolution of the auction lots took longer than I had expected – one was duplicated and one was sold on; I hadn’t anticipated that money would still be coming in by way of sponsorship and donations for the 500 miles Challenge – even now; I over-committed for October and November; and I didn’t realise how tired I’d be after the event. Also, I had wanted to have got round everyone who helped to thank them all personally before posting a general thank you but I am only about a third of the way through that process. If you haven’t heard from me directly, you will!


So what happened? Here’s a short report.


For a selection of photos from the day you can go to - www.gallery.me.com/robin.garrett/100041.


The 500 miles Challenge

Over 2,000 people took part in the Miles for Smiles 500 miles Challenge with one person or one team starting the same one mile route at the EICC every minute from 11.10am until 7.30pm. Lothian and Borders Police Pipe Band kicked off at 11.10am and throughout the day various well known faces took part including The Proclaimers, Fred MacAulay, Ian Rankin and his son, Kit, Kaye Adams, Nicola Sturgeon, John Swinney, Edi Stark, Colin McCredie and his daughter Maisie and Sir Tom Farmer. Many young children took part with their parents and older children came with their school friends. There was lots of colourful fancy dress and quite a few very physically challenging miles eg on roller skates, on stilts, human wheel barrow, juggling and three, four and five legged miles. Two friends of mine, Brian and Gillian, did a whole mile on space hoppers and couldn’t walk properly for days afterwards because their thighs were so sore! There was a superb atmosphere which was really added to by the series of young bands which I had playing in Festival Square all day. The early morning was dark, wet and windy – but from 11.10am the sun shone all day!


Lynne Cadenhead very kindly provided 12 Scottish Quest games (specially branded for Miles for Smiles) as prizes for the best 12 miles. In no particular order, they were won by: The Henderson Family, David and Sophie Morton, Mark Tungatt and Callum, Nick Abram and 7 soldiers, Alix Meekison, Centotre, Kilsyth Rotary, Jordanhill School Choir, John Sinclair, Duncan Wallace, Fettes Prep School, Fettes Senior School.

Alex Salmond couldn’t come on the day but he did his mile on the Wednesday before the event – with Miss Scotland! Everyone who did a mile signed a giant Saltire which was pre-signed by Sir Sean Connery as patron of the event. The Saltire, covered in 2,000 signatures, is now hanging on the main office wall of the 500 miles Centre in Lilongwe, Malawi - see the photo! I took it out with me when I visited Malawi in November.

As well as being great fun, the 500 miles Challenge well and truly washed its face financially because a lot of the people who did miles collected sponsorship. As I said, money is still coming in. Better than that though, I have had lots of emails and notes saying how much people enjoyed taking part – so I think I’ll probably do it again – but not with a ball for 730 on the same day!

The Miles for Smiles ball

Having said that the ball went off very well and it did raise a lot of money! The Proclaimers were the headline act. The dance floor was full from the minute Craig and Charlie came on and with 730 guests, it felt as if the building was going to take off! We also had a fantastic set from Jim Diamond and more dance music from The Full Tin Tin who, as an amateur band who play for charity “for fun”, were brilliant. Fred MacAulay was as entertaining as he was professional and made everyone relax and get into the spirit of the evening. The EICC produced an outstanding meal, especially considering the numbers, and Nick Nairn demonstrated the cooking of part of it with a lot of humour - and patience!The auction was remarkably successful given the times we are living in – raising about £90,000 – and as a result of wonderfully generous donations from some very kind people, I was able to offer a substantial prize for every table in a free prize draw. So there was lots of fun and variety and I think that helped secure a few donations and commitments on the night.

Total raised

Including the profit from ball ticket sales, donations, sponsorship for the 500 miles Challenge, One Smile commitments for the next five years and Gift Aid, the total amount raised by Miles for Smiles is close to £250,000 - with money still coming in.

Obviously this gives me a lot of comfort that my commitments to 500 miles’ three supported projects can be fulfilled but it is also enough money to allow me to consider a fourth project - which I hope will be a brand new prosthetic and orthotic clinic in Mzuzu in the north of Malawi. Please have a look at my updated website at www.500miles.co.uk for up to date news about the work of 500 miles and some new pictures of some of our patients.

Thank you!

Miles for Smiles was the result of the generosity and kindness of literally hundreds of people - too many to name but you know who you are – and so do I! Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. I have to say you are such an inspiration in what you are doing. I am trying to do similar for the back brace and know how hard it is to get people to listen. What you are achieving is huge well done !

    ReplyDelete