Wednesday 19 August 2009

Flying the flag in Malawi

I was thinking about giving a certificate to everyone who took part in the 500 miles Challenge – but this was going to be a huge hassle and I doubted that many “certificates” would make it home without being lost or torn.


It was actually a friend Dale Strachan’s idea but I now have a much better way of symbolising the convertion of “miles” to “smiles” - and of including everyone who takes part in the 500 miles Challenge.


My husband Robin has ordered a huge saltire which is just the right size for the largest wall in the office of the 500 miles Centre in Lilongwe, Malawi. I am going to ask every participant in the 500 miles Challenge to sign it after they have completed their mile. The First Minster is going to sign and I have asked Sir Sean Connery to sign too as patron of Miles for Smiles.


After Miles for Smiles I will send the saltire signed by all the people who did “miles” in Scotland to the place in Malawi where their efforts will produce “smiles”!


No comments:

Post a Comment